Whenever we think of chatting the first thing that comes to our mind is WhatsApp. WhatsApp which is now the popular chat app has become embedded in our lives. With 1.2 billion active people using the app worldwide, there is no slowing down for it soon.
The primary benefit of using this app is it enables us to connect with our friends and family simply and safely. Whether you’re using an Android smartphone or an iPhone, WhatsApp is an important part of our daily lives. If you’re an Android user, you must be wondering “if I ever buy an iPhone, will it be possible to transfer my WhatsApp chats?”
In today’s article, you will find the answer you’re looking for. I have been able to figure out the easiest and most convenient ways to transfer your WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone, they are by:
- Using Third-Party Tools
- Using the Email Chat Method
Read on to figure out how to transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone.
How To Transfer WhatsApp Chats From Android To iPhone
When you’re switching from an Android to an iPhone, there are a few things to bear in mind. Your contacts, images, and other files must be transferred from your old device to the new one.
Luckily the iPhone has an app for this called ‘Move to iOS’ which helps users migrate to their new device. At this point, you must be like “Wow that’s sweet, Let me go grab my Credit card and buy myself an iPhone”. Well here is a sad part, the iPhone’s ‘Move to iOS’ app only allows you to move your contacts, photos, and other files from your existing device to the new device.
This is where things get a little more complicated since migrating WhatsApp chats from Android to iOS is not officially supported. Since Whatsapp on Android and iOS use Google Drive and iCloud respectively to store the data, it makes data transfer from one platform to another difficult.
As a result, we must rely on third-party apps to complete this task.
Transfer WhatsApp from Android to iPhone using a 3rd Party Tool
There are many third-party tools available online to move Whatsapp chats from one device to another. Some of the well-known tools are AnyTrans and MobileTrans. We have tried and tested using all three tools and yes they do the work as advertised.
Let us explore the ways to move the data from Android to iPhone using these tools.
AnyTrans is a powerful iOS data management application. AnyTrans makes it easy to migrate and backup your phone data as well as switch WhatsApp messages from an Android phone to an iPhone.
You can also manage WhatsApp on iPhone, including backup and restore, as well as switch from iPhone to iPhone using this tool.
- Download AnyTrans on your computer and install it. The free version has a trial period of 3 days with some limitations. We would suggest that you go for the premium version to take full advantage.
- Connect your Android and iPhone to your computer via USB cables.
- Select WhatsApp to Device and press the “Transfer Now” button under the “Social Messages Manager” menu.
- After checking the source and target devices, press the “Next” button to continue.
- To backup WhatsApp data on your Android phone, follow the on-screen instructions. To do this, AnyTrans will install the WhatsApp enhanced version on your Android device. Do make sure WhatsApp has complete access to your phone’s internal storage.
- The WhatsApp messages will then be transferred to your iPhone. The amount of time it takes is determined by the size of your WhatsApp backup. Please be patient when this process takes place. Once completed your Android chats will be available on iPhone.
MobileTrans is software that allows you to manage a variety of social media applications, including WhatsApp. With this clever solution, you can migrate WhatsApp from Android to iPhone 11/12 in a matter of seconds.
There will be no problems with compatibility between the two devices. However, the process will overwrite your iPhone 11/12’s existing WhatsApp info. So in case, if you already have WhatsApp installed on your latest iPhone 11/12, make sure you back it up first.
The free version only allows you to backup the data for the source phone, but to restore the data, you need to buy the premium version.
- Download and install MobileTrans. Once installed, you can launch the “WhatsApp Transfer” tool from the main dashboard.
Mac: Click here
Windows: Click here
- From the left sidebar, navigate to the WhatsApp section. On the right, you’ll see a list of different WhatsApp-related operations. To proceed, simply press “Transfer WhatsApp Messages.”
- Use working cables to link your Android and iPhone 11/12 to the device.
- When you want to switch WhatsApp from Android to iPhone 11/12, the source device should be Android and the target device should be iPhone. If their placements are incorrect, you can use the Flip button.
- After you’ve double-checked their locations, press the “Start” button. The current data on your target iPhone will be deleted in the process, according to the prompt. Confirm your decision by clicking the Yes button, and the WhatsApp transfer will begin.
- Make sure the devices are connected until the process is complete.
- You will be notified when the procedure is completed.
- When you open WhatsApp on your iPhone, it will automatically detect an existing backup. Simply press the “Restore” button, and your WhatsApp data will be easily transferred from Android to iPhone 11/12.
Transfer WhatsApp Messages from Android to iOS via Email Chat Method
As previously mentioned, WhatsApp does not support the transfer of messages from Android to iOS or vice versa.
However, this does not rule out the possibility of finding a solution. There are a few options inside the WhatsApp app for transferring chats between Android and iOS devices. This solution might not be as good as the one we discussed earlier, which is currently the easiest way to send WhatsApp messages.
If you do not wish to install the application, we are also here to inform you of this new process.
- To begin, go to your Android device’s app store and download the WhatsApp app.
- Go to WhatsApp’s Settings page and look for the “Chats” portion.
- Inside Chats, select the “Chat History” option.
- Here, select the “Export chat” choice to have the messages sent to you via email.
- Since this approach does not allow you to email every chat on your WhatsApp account, you will need to choose a targeted chat.
- After that, you can either enter someone else’s email address to send the chat backup email to them or leave the field blank to retain it as a personal backup in your Gmail’s draft section.
- Although you can read the messages from this chat backup on your iOS computer, you won’t be able to restore them using the WhatsApp messenger app.
Can’t I use the local backups to migrate my Android WhatsApp chats to iOS?
Many people who want to move WhatsApp from Android to iPhone often ask this question. In a nutshell, the answer is no. Let’s take a look at why this cross-platform approach isn’t going to work.
It’s a common misunderstanding that WhatsApp chats can be transferred from Android to iPhone using the local backups. If you have an Android smartphone, you can save your WhatsApp data to Google Drive or local storage by going to Settings > Chats > Chat Backup.
You can also access the exact backup file from the local storage if you like. However, there is no way to move this to your new iPhone. Also, the Move to iOS app currently does not allow the transfer of WhatsApp data. Not only that, but the encoding on both platforms isn’t the same.
As a result, there is no native solution for backing up WhatsApp on Android and then restoring it on an iPhone.
What you should know before moving WhatsApp from Android to iPhone?
- Even if you can’t restore an Android backup to an iPhone directly, it’s always a good idea to keep a backup. This ensures that you still have a backup of your WhatsApp conversations. You can later access your chats on a computer by using a WhatsApp backup extractor.
- WhatsApp chats are backed up locally to the device’s storage > WhatsApp > Database. You can open this file at any time and transfer it to another location if you like.
- Although there are a few tools that can directly move WhatsApp conversations from Android to iPhone, only a few are reliable. Before you give these tools/software a shot, make sure you read the user reviews.
- Ensure that the phone numbers on both devices are the same. If not, make use of WhatsApp’s number change feature beforehand.
This concludes our comprehensive guide on how to move WhatsApp conversations from Android to iPhone. As you can see, using the native solution to transfer your WhatsApp data will not produce the desired results.
Third-party tools like MobileTrans and AnyTrans on the other hand, prove to be the ideal solution for transferring WhatsApp messages directly from Android to iPhone.
As per the rumors, Whatsapp has identified this problem and is currently working on a solution that will enable the migration of chats from Android to iOS smoother and easier. As of now is no official word from the Whatsapp team.
If this rumor turns out to be true then yes it will be a boon to all Android/iOS smartphone users. We will keep you posted once we have received some new info.
- How To Monitor WhatsApp Messages using Spy Software?
- How To Hack Someones WhatsApp without their Phone?
Daniel Moore is the Founder & Editor-in-chief of Private-Spy, an experienced hacker, lecturer and an all-round fun guy! A writer by day and reader by night, he holds a Master’s degree in Computer applications and believes that privacy is our god given right. Daniel has been known to have published in-depth guides and tutorials that have been used by millions of people across the world.